Monday

The Challenge

Most times, when a non-runner or non-marathoner hears that I've finished two marathons and am preparing for my third (and hopefully fourth), the comment I hear is "I could never do that". But I'm here to say that running a marathon is easy. Life is what's hard. 

In and around my running adventures are my life adventures. And those adventures are much more muddied, difficult, and, at times, seemingly insurmountable than training for a race is. Preparing for a race is relatively straight forward. Training plans are easily found with just a few mouse clicks. Schedules are mapped out, running shoes professionally fit, and plenty of advice freely given. Barring injury, preparing for and running a race is an attainable goal. 

But where are my instructions for life? Where is the training plan that says, "Do this and that result will occur"? Where is the satisfaction when my well thought-out planning actually comes to fruition? Where is the online help that says, "I've walked this exact path before, parented these exact children, hoped for these same things...and this is the secret"? 

With running, I have a general idea as to what I'm doing. Life? Pfft...no clue.

No comments: