Friday

Popcorn Problems

In my journey of accepting myself and embracing me as a sensitive person, I'm also learned how to respond to my entering-fourth-grade son. He is also a sensitive soul. Currently I'm laying down next to him as he recovers from crying and being upset about not knowing there was popcorn on which to snack. In these moments I'm mindful to not tell him simply to "get over it" or belittle him for crying about popcorn. Because sometimes the best thing we can do is acknowledge our feelings and *feel* our feelings. Sometimes being upset about popcorn is okay. I'm thankful that he knows to remove himself to a quiet place. I'm thankful he is comfortable with me to cry and tell me how he's feeling. I'm thankful that I've learned to let him feel what he's feeling in addition to suggesting what we could do differently next time. Feelings are important and should never be dismissed, regardless of how big or little the situation may seem to someone else. 

No comments: