No, I'm not running with a trombone. Rather, I am attempting to run while parenting. Isabelle doesn't like to practice trombone on her own. However, I would like to accomplish other things instead of sitting and keeping her on task. (Hey, she has to learn self discipline!...as do I, come to think of it...) Sometimes I will play the piano with her, but the last two nights, I've had her practice trombone while I run on the treadmill. Sunday night, I noticed that she was playing to the beat of my running. Whether this is a happy coincidence, I'm not sure, but it proved to be motivating for me and, I think, her.
Last night's run was mentally a challenge. I'm tired. I'm in week 5 of "The Controlling of My Eating 2010 Campaign! Woo!"...yep, that's the official name I gave it...and I'm feeling like I'm hitting a little bit of a wall. Granted, the eating/exercising/losing weight is going splendidly, but I'm still ready to be done. Deep down, I know that I'm never done. I will also have to be healthy, even though I would love a big ol' plate of nachos right about now. At any rate, I really just wasn't feeling it last night. Isabelle must have not been feeling it either because her notes were not steady and she kept going flat. I didn't stop running, but I did opt to have her do some slow scales and concentrate on breath control. At one point, I was singing the scales with her. Of course, I probably didn't sound that great singing scales and running at the same time. What a pair we were last night. In the end, I think she benefited from my suggestions and her needing help distracted me from what I didn't want to do. We may have to continue this. Although, come spring, Isabelle is fully intending on riding her bike or scooter while I run. Maybe she'll even run with me if I'm running a mile. Given her cross country performance this year, I'll be running with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment