Today I have felt off. Overtired, a little dizzy, hungry, general malaise. But still I wanted to get my run in the evening. Lately, I've been exercising late, and I believe it's compounded my exhaustion. My late exercising is due to watching the olympics so I had moved the treadmill to be at an angle so that I could watch the TV. Let's do some math... angled treadmill + lightheaded + tired = disaster.
Last night, I noticed it was difficult for me to focus on running and watching figure skating because I ended up running on the side of the tread. Fortunately, my treadmill squeals when I run off-center thus enabling me to correct myself. Tonight, however, I had the added factor of exhaustion. Let's peek into my thoughts during the run...
I am tired tonight. Maybe I won't run 3 miles, maybe just 2.5 or even just 2. No, don't make excuses. Just run the 3. Run it easy, and you'll be fine.
...
Oo! Bobsledding. Why would anyone watch bobsledding and think, 'yeah! I want to race down a thing of ice at 80 mph'?
...
Hmm, getting warm. Maybe I'll turn on the fan? Nah, I'll wait a little bit.
...
William keeps asking me questions. I don't have the energy to answer him. So tired. Maybe just 2 miles... No! run the 3!
...
And...fan on...
...
This safety key is poking my belly. Maybe I'll take it out. Hm. That's just asking for something to happen. I'll just shift it a little bit.
...
Okay, I liked it better in the other spot. I'll just shift it back.
...
1 mile. Time to up the speed a little bit.
...
It's not as interesting to wait a whole mile before increasing my speed. Let's see, if I run at this speed for 3 laps instead of 4, then the next speed for 3 laps, the last two laps I'll increase even more.
...
I just might get the 3 in tonight. This isn't so bad. I really am tired though.
...
Coming up to 1.75 miles.
...
Hmm. Did my foot just step off the tread? That's weird. And my other leg is still going with the tread. I think I might fall. (audible scream) Hmm. I'm on the floor but is the tread still going? I have the safety key attached, don't I? I fell to the side, does it reach that far? No, it's on the floor next to me. So why is the tread going? Well, the treadmill beeped like it turned off. Yes, the tread definitely is stopping. Yep, I definitely fell. Okay system check: left leg - good. Arms - good. Rear end and back - good and good. Right leg - scrapped on side of treadmill. Sore but like a rug burn. Nerves - shot. Motivation - total shutdown.
An ice pack later, some arm work with weights, and some burn cream to ease the stinging of my leg, I was perfectly fine. In some ways, it's good I was so out of it. I didn't tense up, because it all happened so fast, so I didn't hurt myself worse. I'll give this round to the treadmill, but tomorrow night is a new night. Maybe I'll put the treadmill back to facing the wall. Running at the wall seems a little safer for me. =)
1 comment:
Yeh i tried watching down hill skiing while running on the treadmill..... Was totally dizzy and had to turn off the tv!
Post a Comment