I have been absent from blogging, but not from running. A lot has been going on all around. In a nutshell...
I completed a duathlon (run 5K, bike 15, run 5K) It was a lot of fun! I think I would do that again.
I also recently completed the Hot Chocolate 15K (9.3 miles) sticking to a 10:07 pace! I am so happy about that.
There's been sad times this summer and fall. Matt and I both lost grandparents. I miss my Mommom. I had a very therapeutic run a couple days after her funeral. Running is good for me.
My running has been pretty consistent. Some weeks were better than others. This past week since the 15K, I haven't run at all. With the time change, I will probably be switching to more treadmill running (yuck). Although, in the beginning of the year, I mainly ran on the treadmill, and my desire to be done faster probably helped me improve my pace. :)
I've been very contemplative lately. I'm in a place right now where I'm feeling lost in my "roles" of life. I've gone from "Pastor's daughter" and "Rachel's little sister" to "Mrs" and "Mom", in rapid succession... None of these are bad roles, obviously. Then there's "Junior Scientist" (hate that term, by the way), "Safety Rep", and "Department Lunch Scheduler" at work. I could take-or-leave those. Sometimes I feel defined only by the roles, and I feel like I've lost who I am. Maybe one's roles are all anyone can be defined by. I don't know.
When I run, it's different. I feel like everything gets stripped away. I'm no longer defined by to whom I'm related or married. It doesn't matter what value (or lack of value) I add to my job. I don't really care if others define me as "a runner". Even day-to-day (or larger) struggles seem to fall to the wayside while I run. And all I'm left with is me.
Just Julia.
No comments:
Post a Comment