When I registered for this race it seemed like such a good idea, a fun race in December to keep me motivated to run through the cold winter months. Then I forgot I had registered. With the end of the year push at work, the added activities at home, and general busyness of life, the race snuck up on me. Thank goodness for reminder emails. And thank goodness for race day pick up.
With late fall and early winter races, there is the advantage of later race starts because the sun doesn't rise as early. Can't say I blame the sun, not being a morning person myself. To be downtown in time for picking up my number, I "only" had to get up at 6 a.m. Good thing I was able to sleep in until 10:30 a.m. on Saturday! :-) Normally, I prefer races that have a technical t-shirt, but I was pleasantly surprised with this cotton tee with a very cute Rudolph.
| Rudolph Ramble 8K |
After picking up my number, I happily spent the next hour waiting in my car. Sunday was not the coldest day I've run outside or the worst weather conditions, but given the choice, I still opted for waiting inside rather than outside. About 30 minutes before the start, I meandered back over to the start area. By this time, there was a coffee truck serving (selling?) warm beverages, a live reindeer for picture ops, and Santa (also live) in his sleigh for more picture ops. I opted out of both photos. Volunteers were also handing out Rudolph noses, which I took but didn't wear, and red antlers, which I took and wore proudly. I thought it added nicely to my already "lacking all fashion sense" running outfit. (What you don't see in this pic are my black running tights under a camo skirts...yeah...I'm not winning any fashion awards...)
| Rocking my Rudolph look |
| Field of Antlers |
Holiday races are fun for people watching. There was an oddly dressed spectator dressed like Dracula who looked like he was interrupted while shaving. Only the lower half of his face was white, very confusing. I saw him later with a bike helmet and chalked it up to not wanting white makeup on his helmet. But still, Dracula? At a Christmas race? Dracula aside, there were a lot of fun holiday socks, one Santa, at least one elf, a sugar plum fairy (I think), and two girls dressed up as Ralphie in the pink bunny and leg lamp from A Christmas Story. I wish I had snapped a picture of them. They were the most unique costumes out there.
| Blew away my sub-10 min/mile goal |


No comments:
Post a Comment