My running funk of the past two days seems to have subsided thanks to the encouragement of my fellow runner. Still unsure of what was best...to run today or not to run today?...I opted for 3-4 miles. I figure I will take tomorrow off from running to be ready for a long Saturday run. As I was leaving I thought, "I'm going to assume this run will suck that way when it does it will have achieved expectations." With this super positive attitude I ventured out for my twilight run.
The first mile was okay. My left calf was tight. I tried not to think about it. "It just needs a mile to warm up," I told myself. I must be pretty convincing because sure enough, after about a mile, things started to fall into place. I eased my stride, focusing on short, smooth movements. I also chose a different route than what I've been running. The change of scenery definitely helped.
"You want to be present in your run, not still stuck at your desk in your mind. Choose a new route or find a scenic trail to help you get into the moment." - Runner's World Daily Calendar
I knew it was two miles to Melas park, there and back would be four. But once I got there it didn't seem right to not run the path around the park. Away I went, turning my 4 mile run into 6 miles, my legs finally enjoying the moment, my mind focusing on the darkened path ahead. There was the distance hum of traffic on road, the welcoming sounds of kids practicing soccer, the softball league playing their game on the fields, and the beat of my shoes on the path. Steady and strong, urging me forward. It was what I had been missing, I was hitting my stride. I reveled in the sounds of Spring. People were out and the park was alive despite the absence of sunlight. Soon the trees will bud and the world will wake from its winter slumber. I could almost hear the collective sigh of relief as I eased into my run.
The world is my gym and I am ready to play.

No comments:
Post a Comment