"If your mind is completely zapped, don't force a demanding workout. Instead, go out for an easy three miles and reschedule the long run."
- Runner's World Daily Calendar
I am officially putting in a request for a brain transplant. I would like an intelligent and sophisticated brain, please. One that could pass a "survival of the fittest" test. Because I am currently failing. Take this morning for instance. We had a tornado drill at work and I was ready to go outside. Clearly, outside is the safest place to go... during a tornado...
*sigh*
My running has suffered this week as well. Yesterday's 4 miler was slow and awful. My form was off, my legs felt like lead, and I felt clunky. But not every run can be a good run, right? Certainly today's run would be better, right? Right? Not so much. Today I felt like a running newbie, huffing along. I was crabby, no, pissed that I was struggling so much. I was hoping for a better run after yesterday's disappointment. However, after stress nightmares and oversleeping it just wasn't meant to be. Even today's run would not get me out of my funk.
What did get me out of my funk was running with a friend. It's easy to push the pace when I have someone to do the pushing for me. Granted it takes some patience to run with a crabby superhero. Awesome patience to listen to my ranting and whining while still assuring me that, while my behavior is ridiculous, it's okay. Encouraging me to tough out the run and that the next run would be fine. That it's okay to have a bad run. Naturally, the jokes, laughter, and a hug to make me feel better always helps.
Sometimes it's the run that lifts the spirits. More often, it's the chance to run with a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment