Monday

Soldier Field 10 Miler


On the Saturday before Memorial Day, Fleet Feet sponsors the Soldier Field 10-miler. I enjoyed running this race two years ago so last Fall, when Bethie suggested running it again for the 10th anniversary, I didn't hesitate for another chance to finish on the 50-yard line at Soldier Field.

It was a definite celebration, with shirts in the Da Bears Blue and Orange...


And, of course, finishing on the 50-yard line. This finish was particularly satisfying because the run itself was a mentally challenging one. I knew I had the ability to run the pace I was running, but I was lacking the motivation to stick with it. Fortunately, I had my "target" person for the race, the person that acts as a goal and a motivation all in one. "If I can just stay with them...not let them out of my sight..." Whether they realize it or not, they helped get me through the mental toughness of this race. And not only did I finish with a smile on my face, I also beat my time of two years ago by about 8.5 minutes, crossing the line in 1:38:13. I did not expect that going into the race because my week had been extremely long with little sleep and not much running. All thanks to my motivator!

The celebration continued with Soul Asylum playing at the post race party. Although, I had "kinda" forgotten that the band existed...oops. They played new music in addition to the songs I recognized. But it was chilly, so I didn't want to hang around too long. Not when I had important napping to do! :)

The best part of the event, however, was when we received our participant's medal. (You know how I like a race with some good hardware!) This year, active servicemen put on our medals. Very cool and very humbling.

No comments: