Tuesday

The episode in which I did not become a supermodel

My family's heritage is broad. I consider myself a true "melting pot" of national backgrounds. However in this pot, my dad's genes took the forefront. My mom was blessed with thick hair and a slender frame. The rest of us...not so much. I maintain that I am built for manual labor, specifically behind two yoked oxen. But I digress.
I've been diligent with working out. I actually enjoy it, maybe not always in the moment, but being consistent and sticking with a plan is generally beneficial to my overall health and just plain puts me in a good mood. I am addicted to the runner's high. (And running skirts...I now own 5...I have a problem.) Last night, during my Sculpt workout with Leandro, I was thinking how nice it's been to have a good solid routine. Last year I had some sporadic periods, and November and December were decreased as well due to a lot of other activities. But overall I did pretty well and, now that the holidays are done, I'm back to my routine. (My shins are happy to remind me that they got used to 2-3 days a week in November and December instead of 5-6, but they'll get over it.) The workouts are still hard and I need to push more so I don't become complacent. And I still get a little sad when I compare myself to the fitness models on the DVDs. Even so, I feel in a pretty good place right now. I am seeing results of my workout journey. (I finally bought my first pair of skinny jeans and knee-high boots, basically guaranteeing both will go out of style soon.) I eat less junk and my body repays me with awesome workouts. I can't change the way I'm built. I'm still 5'5" and by no means a supermodel. And while I may always look best behind a team of oxen, at least I can survive a day of good manual labor.

No comments: