Monday

Active Recovery

It's been one week since Chicago. Other than the aforementioned left calf, I've recovered nicely. However, I hadn't yet gone out for some active recovery and my left leg was getting more achy by the day. Spending Friday night and 10 hours on Saturday sitting on bleachers at my daughter's volleyball tournament certainly didn't help. When I wasn't sitting I was standing since there weren't a lot of places to go. Plus, non-cheering time was spent dealing lecturing/consoling/combatting my teenage daughter. This, in turn, meant my mom spent her downtime listening/consoling/comforting her teenage granddaughter AND her not-feeling-so-grown-up daughter. My 7-year old and my dad wisely kept their distance. We had some good moments, though, and I had plenty of opportunities to embarrass her.

"Awkward Mom Photo"
Sunday was much better for my leg with some unexpected active recovery. My second grader really wanted to go apple picking “before winter comes” and Sunday was our day to go. The teenager opted to stay home leaving just me and my little man to brave crossing the Cheddar Curtain for some apples, pumpkins, and fun. I was happy to be walking normally, although still a little stiff from the bleachers and my injury. Our day at the Apple Farm turned into a reminder that active recovery doesn’t need to take the form of going for a run. Little Man insisted on trying the pedal carts and was super excited to see a double one that we could pedal and ride together. After some time in the playground, getting lost in a corn maze, and munching on an overpriced lunch, we journeyed via wagon ride to the Enchanted Forest where we searched for the perfect apples to fill our bags. We meandered over uneven ground through the orchard, even stopping at the pumpkin patch to pick out two pumpkins before making our way back to the orchard entrance. I realized by the time we go back to the car that my leg wasn’t aching any more. In fact, it felt fantastic! I’ll still break from running for another few days…maybe up to another week, but I feel encouraged. Encouraged that with proper rest I will run again. Encouraged that I can be active in other ways without prolonging my full recovery time. All thanks to my Little Man for insisting on a trip to the orchard and for being the best part of my unexpected active recovery day.


Pedal Carts!

No comments: