I’ve waited for you for five years.
26.2 miles of city streets
26.2 miles of city sights
26.2 miles with 44,999 other runners
26.2 miles of 1 million spectators
26.2 miles
Chicago
You did not disappoint.
It’s been four days now since finishing the Chicago marathon and it’s taken me these four days to be okay with my run. I finished in 5:32:57. One minute and 43 seconds off of my best time. The first half was amazing, crossing at 2:30:36 on track for close to a 5 hour marathon. Then I made the mistake of getting my hopes up. Having not run for two weeks, my legs felt pretty good. My problematic left leg had been tight the whole time, but was mechanically working. I thought I was in decent shape to grab a PR at least. I was enjoying the sights and sounds of the city. The spectators were amazing with a constant sound of cheering. The weather was perfect. I even had Batman and Batgirl in my start corral. I would see Superman and Captain America later in the race, too. But just as in my last marathon, the second half quickly became the opposite of the first one.
It started with my right knee, which probably was a result from compensating for my tight left leg. I had taped my knee and had a knee strap with me, which I decided to add. Then both calves were feeling tight. Finally by mile 22, my adductor muscle (I believe…) in my right thigh Charlie-horsed causing me to pull up short and cling to a near-by light pole to keep from collapsing. One thing I knew in that moment, if I went down, I wasn’t getting back up. And there was no way I wasn’t finishing.
Not finishing was not an option.
I went into the Chicago marathon knowing that there would be pain. In my first marathon, I made it 21 miles before the pain in my heel was too much for me to continue running. I finished with a run/walk and a stress fracture. In my second marathon the heat was my enemy, I started hyperventilating at the halfway point and walk/ran the remaining, unable to calm my respiratory system despite the faithful companionship of Bethie. So here I was. Mile 22. In pain. The tears were starting. I was being to hyperventilate again. Only this time, my only companion was a light pole, probably covered in germs. But I knew another thing in that moment… “forward is a pace”.
Not finishing was not an option.
I took deep breaths to calm my breathing down. I gently stretched my thigh. I cursed.
And I continued on my way.
Slowly
It’s only 4 miles. You can run 4 miles.
At mile 23 there were people handing out cups of beer to runners. I took a cup. The aid stations were also handing out pieces of banana. By this point, the banana was more helpful to me than the shot bloks I had been using. There were an increasing number of cameramen taking official race photos. I smiled at each one I saw.
Finishing was the ONLY option
Throughout the entire run, the motivational signs intended for other runners pulled me through. Several of my close friends were receiving text updates of my progress as well. Each time I crossed a timing mat I imagine the data being blasted out to my loved ones. There was no way they weren’t getting that final text…
FINISH
It was within sight. The route had been counting down: 800 meters to go… 600 meters to go… 400… 200… 100… There were announcers calling out names of runners. And then I heard it:
“Julia Markworth!”
Me!!!
I raised my fist in the air at the announcement of my name. I raised both as I crossed the final timing mat.
26.2
Chicago
There are many things I would have liked to have gone better. But I can honestly say that I gave it everything. In those moments, those steps, each stride, each pain, each smile…I left it all out there. I may have journeyed this marathon without someone physically by my side, but I was never alone. With the support of friends and family cheering me on, the claps on the back by strangers, the smiles from the race volunteers…I had Run Chicago. And I would run it again in a heartbeat.
John Bingham said it best:
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
Thank you for your love and support. I would not have had the courage to start without it.
![]() |
| Good Morning Chicago |
![]() |
| Before the race: Ready to run! |
![]() |
| Here we go! |
![]() |
| Still smiling! |
![]() |
| The hardware :) |





2 comments:
This blog entry had me BAWLING.
I know how hard you've worked, how dedicated you are to your training and how admirable is your fitness. You are a true inspiration and I am so, so, so proud of you.
You had God, love, and support beaming and surrounding you and even when it seemed like you *might* have to give up, you bloody DID IT. You finished and you finished well. I thought about you all day.
This wasn't just one of SuperJulia's Adventures in Running. It was a SuperJuls Triumph.
Congratulations, girlfriend.
Oh ma gosh, I totally just cried! I'm so proud of you!! You have more ambition and power within than I could ever imagine!! I'm so impressed!! 3 Cheers For YOU!! Congratulations! I admire you!
Post a Comment