Saturday

"Let the pain be your guide"

"You know the marathon was only three days ago," the sports doctor said to me as I explained the extreme tightness in my left calf. 
"I know," I replied. "But I've been running long distance since 2008 and this is a new pain that started two weeks before the marathon." I told him I had taken two weeks off prior to the marathon, how I couldn't walk well afterwards even though the "marathon soreness" had subsided, how my attempt to loosen the muscle in a whirlpool had resulted in my leg swelling up like I was 9 months pregnant, and how my family has a history of blood clots due to a protein deficiency, for which I have tested negative. Oh, and I mentioned my hypochondriac tendencies. 
"I can't always feel a clot with a physical exam and I could order a test for that if you really are worried, but I don't feel a 'cord' in you leg that could indicate a clot and you have a very valid reason for a muscle strain. Taking two weeks off of running was the best for healing, but running a marathon angered the muscle. Rest, icing, stretching, and no running. Try biking or swimming until your leg feels better."
"How long should I not run?" I queried. 
"Let the pain be your guide," this doctor, who also runs, replied. "If you were 62, I would say it would take awhile, but you're young enough that you should heal fine. You're not in danger of tearing or snapping anything. 
Thanks, Yoda... "Any idea?" I asked again. 
"When's your next race?" he responded to my insistance. 
"Two and a half weeks. And I'm stubborn," I said. 
He smiled. "I'm the same way." 

Let the pain be my guide...

Patience...


 

No comments: