Sunday

September 21, 2008 - Ready to Run 20 miler

This morning was the Nike Ready to Run 20 miler. It was mentally and physically the most exhausting run to date. I ran it in 4 1/2 hours, 30 minutes longer than I wanted. But it was probably a miracle I finished at all because my left knee was screaming at me starting at mile 1 (yes...mile ONE). The weather was humid too. We started the run at a risk level yellow/moderate. At about 10:30 a.m., they updated it to risk level red/high due to the heat and humidity. I was not able to keep with the 12 minute group at all. I had to compromise because of my knees. During mile 17 I had to walk a little bit too. My legs were just so sore. They still are. The other issue was that I ran a large majority of the run by myself. I could always see someone but I didn't have anyone to pace with. Towards the beginning I did have Julie to run with for a few miles and that was great. It was nice and distracting to run with her. But she had to go to the bathroom and I kept going. Part of me wishes I had waited for her so I wasn't running so much on my own. I did end up seeing Melissa, Crystal and Candice later on but I didn't stay with them for very long. I still can't believe how hard this run was mentally. To run so long, in the heat, relatively alone fighting mental and physical blocks. Ugh. I don't want to do that again. So back to mile 17...I stretched a little bit and retied my shoes (which I stopped my watch for). And I walked a little bit. Not sure how much, probably about a quarter mile. I started running again when I saw the 18 mile mark. I crossed that and grabbed some ice. I didn't want to wait for them to wrap my knee so I decided to just run with it in my hands and use it to help cool off. The last two miles actually were okay. I think the walking and the ice helped. That and being so close to being done. Beth did absolutely awesome. I wish I could have run with her. The nice thing was I knew she be at the finish line cheering us on. And she didn't disappoint. She even taunted me with beer! It was nice to finish. I was disappointed in my legs and my time. And I did cry after finishing. It was just such a hard run. In so many ways. My brain isn't working so well right now because of exhaustion so it's hard to put into words. Seriously though...wow. Beth handed me a beer and I cheered up. Then she and I cheered more runners in. It's great to cheer people whether you know them or not. The photographer was amused by us. He even took a picture of me with my beer! =) I'm excited to see the picture although I had just run 20 miles so I doubt I looked cute at all. LOL.
The reality of endurance running hit home today though. Melissa finished strong but needed medical aid afterwards. Beth called one of Melissa's friends to come pick her up. The medics gave Melissa an IV and everything. They also suggested she go to the emergency room. Although since she was pretty alert, Beth and friend were allowed to take her themselves. I pray that she's okay.
Endurance running is hard: mentally and physically.

1 comment:

Bethie said...

See? Beer cheers everybody up!

And you did a great job! The conditions didn't allow for a perfect run, so you did the best you could with what you had. And you finished--I'm very proud of you. You rocked, even if you don't feel like it!

And I promise, I won't leave you in Indy! :)