Wednesday

I heart people, except for when I don't

Oh, people... Oh, the Y people. Working out is a perfect time to people watch. Well, discreetly people watch. It probably would look a little creepy if I actually stared at people working out... Anywho, today I had 35 minutes of cross training. On Wednesdays, yes, all two of them so far, I've been opting to cross train on the stationary bike while the 1st grader is at swim class. Today, two women biked along side me for about half of my time. They chatted about life, particularly about the relationships with their adult children. They commented on the men lifting weights. They critiqued their heart rates. "You're at 126? I'm only at 106." "Maybe your heart is more efficient." Meanwhile, I was keeping my heart rate at 140. Guess I'm inefficient. :) They made plans for the remainder of their workout today, as well as for tomorrow. After they finished on the bike, they made their merry way to the treadmills. "It's like we doing a triathlon! Just without the swimming." Their comradery was endearing.

Next in was a my-age-ish man who went for the spin bike. I'm not really sure what's different about a spin bike versus a stationary bike. I should look it up and see if one is better than the other. "Should"... Also, an older gentleman came in with turquoise Hawaiian floral shorts and a red and white colored polo. It was fantastic! Of course, I was sporting my bright pink "I'm with awesome (arrow pointing up)" socks... :)

Then, with 2 minutes left to bike, I hear a tap at the emergency door. There stood two little girls who's older sister is in the same class as my 7th grader. Big smiles and big waves of hello. Way to help me finish with a smile on *my* face! :)

The best was when I went back to the pool to collect my 1st grader, I witnessed him swimming a couple yards on his own without floaties! His smile was heart-warming. The exclamations of praise for the staff were equally as heart warming.

All in all, my evening at the Y was just what I needed after a disheartening day at work.

No comments: