Sunday

The race that started it all

My running journey began in track season, my sophomore year of high school. I didn't know it was beginning, I just thought I'd try out a running event, probably because my older sister was (and is) a runner. The only thing I remember about that meet, aside from it being at Luther South, was that I ran my first 800 meters. In track I was in the field events. I threw shot put and discus. Any running I had done to that point was simply for training which is why I remember that 800 meters so well. It's funny to think back and remember how hard that distance felt. Especially having completed 2 marathons, several half marathons, and a few 10 and 15Ks in my adult life. But at the time, two laps around the track seemed impossible. On my second lap I was questioning my sanity in telling my coach I wanted to run. I was staring at 390 meters to go, an eternity. At this moment my sister appeared. "You can do this! Count your steps '1, 2, 3'!" With her cheering me on, I finished my first 800. I couldn't tell you my time, but I won't forget that run.
To date, no one has ever accused me of being a runner. I certainly don't look like a runner. I'm built like I belong behind a team of oxen while plowing a field. So there was no expectation for how I would do on that day. And that run certainly didn't go down in history as a break out race. It didn't start me down the road to running greatness. But, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I do see that it was the beginning of my journey to 'Runner'.

No comments: