Monday

The Naked Truth

Nudity in the locker room makes me uncomfortable. I was probably more uncomfortable with it when I went to the gym at my work because they were my coworkers. Granted, there are several thousand of us, but still. I don't go so far as to hide in bathroom stall to change, but I do try to dress as modestly and quickly as possible. I remember a time at my work's gym when I was facing the lockers and a woman asked me a question. When I turned to answer her, there she was in all her glory. Why would she ask me her question then? Was it so important it couldn't have waited a minute or two to at least don some undergarments? I'd like to know what my face must have looked like with me trying to mask my shock and embarrassment. From what I hear from others, I'm not good at masking any feeling so I imagine this situation wasn't any different.
Sunday, I had another Buff Encounter after my 400 yard swim at the Y. (Side note: the swim went a tad better than last week, less breaks between. Obviously, I still have a long way to go.) Now, at the Y, I've had a woman strip down to nothing to get changed which is fine. It is the easier way to change. But Sunday, this woman was drying her hair in the nude. Why? I don't even do that at home. Naturally, the hair dryers were right by the locker I chose and I didn't have time to wait. I had planned to just throw clothes on over my suit. And good thing too, because the hair dryer is by a mirror. There would have been no way for me to discretely change since my back was to the mirror. (Note to self: don't choose a locker by the mirrors.)
I guess the bigger question is why I'm so uncomfortable with nudity. The answer is probably because I'm not comfortable with myself. I heard a comedian once say, "Why should I be embarrassed?! I know what I look like. It's the other guy that should be embarrassed!"
I wish I had a level of self-acceptance that I didn't worry about what other people think of me. It would be nice to consider my "flaws" part of what makes me, me, and not something of which to be ashamed. The healthier I eat and the more active I am the closer I get to a positive self image. Maybe this should be my goal in this adventure.
That being said...I still don't plan to prance around naked in the locker room.

No comments: