I have returned from my last trip to Ireland, at least for the foreseeable future. I've also started my new job. I'm still at the same company but am working in a new department, one that will not be sending me anywhere, let alone to Ireland. Having already accepted the position prior to my trip, I count myself fortunate for one last adventure in the Emerald Isle. To say I will miss Ireland and the friends I've made there, would be an understatement. In only four short trips, Ireland became my home away from home. I was beginning to think I was born in the wrong country, I felt that comfortable during my time there. Not one to mope, I was determined to make the most of my final trip. And what adventure wouldn't be complete without running?
"That friendly nod between strangers out doing the same thing
Gliding down the bike path on a Saturday morning, you whip by somebody peddling in the opposite direction and give each other a nod. For a moment it's like, 'Hey, we're both doing the same thing. Let's be friends for a second.'
Also applies to seeing someone driving the same car as you, walking their dog past you on Sunday morning, or squeezing the melon beside you in the grocery store.
Awesome!"
- The Book of Awesome, by Neil Pasricha
I have experienced that friendly nod while running both at home and abroad. It's that instant kinship forged through the shared goal, the common struggle and eventual victory that running brings. My goal in this last trip to Ireland was to have my second international race. And I'm happy to report that I was able to achieve this goal. Ireland loves running. There seem to be a variety of running clubs one can join and with whom one can train. And these running clubs get together for chip timed runs practically every weekend, sometimes raising money for charity as they were in the run I found, sometimes just to get out there and have a race. The race I ran was a 5 mile, nice and flat run in a nearby national park. Arriving the day of the race was a little intimidating. While it's awesome that there are so many running clubs, it can be daunting to show up and be surrounded by serious runners...really, really serious runners...ready to go out there and race. They all have their game face on and they all know each other. And then there's me. It's not that they're unfriendly, it's more my shyness of inserting myself into a group of running friends. Fortunately for me, I was not destined to run this race alone. Like the quote above says, there is an instant connection between people doing the same thing. Or even waiting to do the same thing.
It was a chilly day and I was waiting for the race to start. I had stretched some, but was mainly trying to stay warm while people watching. As I said before, there seemed to be a plethora of serious runner types. Then I saw tight-white-shirt-and-shorts guy walk by me. I stopped my shivering and stared. Is this guy for real? I thought. "Haha! He's going commando!" Instant Running Buddy next to me said. And there it was, connection. Instant Running Buddy, AKA Kent, and I laughed about Tight White's choice of clothing. I didn't want to believe he was commando in those white shorts, but then he turned around... Yep. Kent was correct. By this point my shoulders were shaking from trying to suppress laughter.
While we continued to wait for the race to start, and avert our eyes from Tight White, Kent and I chatted. My spirits lifted considerably because it had been a while since I'd had someone with whom to wait. But the experience was that much better after the race started because we also ran together. Well, I ran with him. He was faster than me, but a good motivator for me to push my pace a little bit. We talked more for the first couple of miles, with my part of the conversation dwindling as I tried to keep the pace. Because I pushed my pace, the run was more mentally challenging. But my running buddy was able to talk me through the mental game of running. Thanks to him, I finished strong with sub-10 minute miles.
Including that race, I was only able to run 4 times during my trip. I squeezed in a 6 mile run, a 30 minute run, and a 30 minute-turned-1 hour, 53 min run. The story with that last one...
It rained a lot on this trip to Ireland. My previous three trips have not had too much rain because Ireland loves me. This trip, it rained a lot. Because Ireland loves me and was crying that this was my final trip. At least that's the story I'm sticking with. So when the rain lessened, I ran. I was out for a 30 minute run before meeting my coworker, Dan, for dinner. About a mile from the hotel, there's a marina walk that is a popular running spot. As I ran to the marina walk, I happened to run into (pun intended) David, an Irish coworker. I made him jump when I said hello because I was probably the very last person he thought he'd see as he took his dogs out for a run. He told me of a 6-mile loop nearby. The weather was actually nice so I though, why not. Well, I'll tell you why not...turning a 3 mile run into a 6 mile run into an 11 mile run...that's why not. :) First, I went the wrong way and ended up passing David again. "You decided not to run the 6?" he asked. "I thought I was..." I responded. He redirected me and off I went. Again. The run was lovely. Along the path were trees covered in thick, green vines. Old stone bridges made archways through which to run. The path was busy with the bustle of other runners, bikers, and walkers. And then it happened...the path split into three directions. And, instead of taking the route that most of the people were taking, I diverted. At first I thought I was doing okay. Sure, it was a residential area, but there were signs for Black Rock Castle. I knew how to get back to the hotel from Black Rock Castle because I had run there earlier in the week. But the signs were confusing. Two signs literally pointed in opposite directions. I must have chosen the wrong way, because I never did find the castle. I took several turns thinking it would wind it's way around, but always I found more residential areas and would need to double back. Finally, an hour into my run, I thought, I just need to go back the way I came. Not having run with identification or money, I thought it would not be in my best interests to get lost. I wasn't above asking a stranger for a ride to the hotel, but I was stubborn. My legs got me out this far, they would get me home. Poor Dan. Waiting for me that whole time. I did make it back to the hotel and was considerably hungry when it was all said and done. Dan let me choose the location for dinner. I said I just wanted a big burger and fries. I chowed down my whole dinner in the messy, shameless glory that only comes after awesomeness of a long run.
"Goodbyes stink" - Michael Scott, The Office
Leaving work on my last day in Ireland was rough. My Irish sister, Leana, and I have so much fun. Lots of laughter and soul lifting times. As the day was nearly done, I realized that was it. I promised myself I wouldn't cry but then Leana teared up as we hugged. That did it for me. I didn't cry my eyes out, but there was definitely some sadness on my part. I am thankful for this age of technology which allows me to stay in contact with people, no matter what the distance.
As far as I know, this trip was the last of my Ireland adventures. At least for work. But my running adventures are far from over. There a new races to run. New places to explore. I treasure the memories and the friendships from past adventures. And I look forward to adding to both in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment