Thursday

September 18, 2008 - 4 mile run/walk

Honestly, I really don't want to blog about this workout. But I committed to myself that I would write about my running and I'm hoping it will prove therapeutic. This morning was a disappointment to say the least. I got up at 4 a.m. to get ready to try (again) for my 8 mile run. I had a power bar and stretched and was out the door about 4:30. I decided to run in the morning because Matt has been have problems with his sinuses and feels worse in the evening. To be helpful, I thought I'd get up and run early so that I could have parenting duties after work (knowing full well I'd be tired). I guess my bad run could be due to getting up early. Or better yet, due to the fact that I woke up just about every hour last night, if not more frequently than that; worried about missing my alarm, worried my alarm would wake up Matt, and also because Matt was tossing, turning and coughing a lot. I guess my bad run could also be blamed on my right upper thigh still being stiff and in pain or that my left knee now hurts. Maybe, I could blame the fact that my body is tired and has been giving a lot to this whole running thing. And while I'm mindful that these things all factor into how my body will perform, I can't shake this feeling of disappointment. I had such a runner's high after Monday's run. I kept up with about a 10:50 pace! But now, I'm worried that I pushed myself too hard. Tuesday was supposed to be 8 miles...it was 5. So today, I tried again for 8 miles...only did 4 and had to intermittently walk/jog after 2 miles. I finished in ~54:29, which is slower than Monday's 5 mile time. And now, I'm faced with the 20 miler on Sunday. And I'm just not sure anymore. I was so confident in my training, in how far I've come and now...what if I don't have anything left? I feel like I went out for an easy run this morning and came back dragging a huge mental block.

My to do list before Sunday:
1. lots of stretching and hydration
2. eat some semblance of healthy food
3. let Tuesday and today's run go

1 comment:

Bethie said...

Everybody has bad days. It's ok. You've faithfully done your training. Even if you miss a run or two you'll still be just fine for the marathon and the 20 miler. Look at the bright side, you've given your body more time to rest up for Sunday.

Cheer up, buttercup! Bethie <3's you! :)