Sunday

August 10, 2008 - First Half Marathon

Today was the Chicago Distance Classic. My first half marathon. 13.1 miles.
Actually the course was long and recertified at 13.2762 miles.

It was awesome! I ran with Beth the whole time. She was an awesome cheerleader and a great pacer! The weather was perfect. It was the perfect temperature and the view, especially on the way back, was beautiful. I had a great time running with a large group of people. Honestly, I'm in a daze. If you had told me four months ago that I would be running a half marathon this summer I would have laughed at you. And yet here I am. I couldn't have asked for a better run. My knee did bother me for most of the race and I am at the beginning of a cold, but God gave me strength to finish and finish strong. My time was 2:29:40. This is a 11:17 pace. I am just so pleased and proud. Beth did awesome! She blasted her previous time by 9 minutes! So inspirational!!


Here's a picture of us after finishing:




I was so excited to have cheerleaders too! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law came down to support me! It was so great to see familiar faces while running. I saw JoAn and Sarah early into the race and they kept me motivated on my way back. Although I didn't see them on my way across the finish it was nice to know they were rooting for me!

At Beth's suggestion, I did label myself with tape that said "Julia's 1st 1/2 marathon" so I also got cheers for my name specifically and for "first half marathoner". Some were at Beth's urging, she can certainly work a crowd! =)

The best part about finishing is that everyone receives a metal! I love bling! And yes, I am wearing it right now. At home. Twelve hours after finishing. Because I want to.

Even Roxy, my car, has an added item. At the expo yesterday, I bought a "13.1" magnet which I ceremoniously applied to my car today after finishing the race.

All-in-all, a most successful day.

1 comment:

Bethie said...

As the official pacer of Super Julia I have two recomendations post race:

1) To streatch/do some light jogging to break up the lactic acid in your muscles.

2) Wear your medal until YOU get tired of wearing it, not when others get tired of seeing it! You earned it, if you want to wear it for a week (month, until your marathon...), then go for it!

I'm so proud of you!!!