Wednesday

June 17, 2009 - 5.9 miles

Yes this is my first time running since last Thursday. I did get sick with coughing and general tiredness (more than usual). I even stayed home last Friday and slept most of the day. Fortunately, I met Beth for the run today. We aimed for 6 miles and made it 5.9 miles in 1 hr 13 min. My body definitely not happy with me for not running for a week then expecting 6 mile run. Plus, it was very humid. Beth was on her 18th hour (or something like that) of exercise having already biked 6 miles, run 3 miles, swam 300 yards (?), done pilates, worked out her core, and walked 3 miles home. Needless to say, we were definitely taking it easy.
We did have uber-creepy-smoking man try to hit on us by asking what our "final destination" was. Beth told him the truth, "Dairy Queen". When he asked where that was, she told him 6 miles, then the light turned green and we continued on our way. Not before we heard his companion say that he was no good at flirting. Beth commented to me, "why would two runners be interested in a smoker?" I said I was tempted to say that our final destination was "his pants" but I figured Beth would have to throw down again and so I refrained.
Another observation we had was of a mother, clearly smoking, telling her children that it was a candy cigarette. Seriously?! Lady, these kids are not as dumb as you look. And while, you could conceivably light sugar on fire, why would you? Honestly, either own up to your kids that you smoke and hope that they don't or make an effort to quit smoking! All you're doing right now is teaching them that it's okay to lie. Good luck with that one!
Anyway, I tried my best not to complain about my aches and pains after my week of non-running but I could help myself. Beth did her best not to slap me silly, given her day-o-working-out, and for that, I'm grateful. Thankfully, my lungs were much happier and I didn't cough much, if at all.
The reason for being 0.1 mile short was because we had decided we would stop at DQ which ended up being 5.9 miles. Naturally we got there at 9:59 p.m. and they close at 10:00 p.m. so the doors were locked. Fortunately McDonald's was still open so Beth and I could get an ice cream cone. Mmmm....vanilla soft serve....mmmmm.....

1 comment:

Bethie said...

For the record, at no point during our run did I want to slap you silly.

...the smoker and the people who locked the Dairy Queen early, now that's another story!