Sunday

June 7, 2009 - 9 miles

Beth joined me for an early-ish morning 9 miles. We decided to run in two loops (actually how I normally run it around my house), especially because she's still recovering from her marathon. We set out for a 5 mile loop followed by a 4 mile loop. Ended up, due to a tight IT band, we ran closer to a 4.5 mile loop before our water break at my house. I was super hungry by this point, having skipped breakfast, so I opted for a protein shake. It was a wise decision.

For the second loop, Beth rode on my bike which was too small a frame for her. I was so glad she rode with me because I was definitely lacking in motivation. Plus I just felt faster running with my bike support even though I'm sure it seemed super slow to Beth!

A funny thing happened about half way through the second loop. I was coming up to an side street when a car turning right slowed down blocking my path. My first thought was "make a decision! Either turn right or wait for me to cross!" Then the driver completely blocked me. I looked closer at the car and thought, "that car looks familiar. And that bike rack on that car looks really familiar." Then I realized that it was my coworker! He jumped out of the car as I stopped and asked "what are YOU doing here???" He started looking for "aid" and asking his very confused looking son (dressed in his karate outfit) if they had any aid for the runner. I asked again what he was doing in the area since he lives North of me. He said he used to live in the area and always liked to tour his old stomping grounds dressed as a pirate (he was in a horizontally red and white striped shirt) with his son dressed as the karate kid. (Beth and I later decided that it would be much more exciting to say we had been accosted by a pirate and a ninja.) My coworker said his goodbyes and then flipped a u-turn complete with squealing tires. Beth asked, "you did know that guy right? Because I thought for should I'd have to throw down the bike. I went into total friend-defense mode." I assured her that I did know him. He is a rather sarcastic/hope he's sarcastic type character, though. So maybe I would have needed her to throw down... =)

When it was all said and done, we finished 9 miles in 1:51.38. I'm slightly disappointed by being over a 12-minute mile pace but there will be plenty more opportunities to improve.

No comments: