Monday

April 13, 2009 - 3 miles plus lower body strength training

The weekend was packed with activites, times with friends, celebrating the Resurrection, and time with family. So my 3 miler didn't get done until this morning. I ran at home and was absolutely roasting. Apparently the heat was on (because it's near freezing in April!) and the vent (directly above the treadmill) was open. Normally it's kept closed. I will definitely keep that on my "to check" list before my next treadmill run. Regardless, the run went pretty well. I stuck with my 12:00 min/mile pace until the very last lap. I think that any difficulties I had were mainly a mental thing and not a physical one. My body felt pretty good. My left foot has really been bothering me but actually feels good when running. I don't get. Walking or standing hurts my foot, but running? Not so much. Wearing shoes with heels are okay too. Weird. Part of it is that I just need to wear supportive shoes at home more often. Walking around barefoot is probably not the best for my high arches. Problem is, I love being barefoot! I'm also suspicious of my orthotics from the doctor. It presses right into the sore part of my arch. I'm considering removing them from my shoes. On a happy note, I did buy some Dr. Scholl's orthotics for my running shoes. The arch is not quite as high so it doesn't put pressure where my foot is sore and the cushiony heel is wonderful. I wore them running this morning and my knee didn't hurt! Hooray! Maybe I'll go get a second pair of this type for my everyday shoes. Here's hoping the trend continues! (Not that one run with the new inserts is a trend...) =p
After running, I showered and went to work for lower body strength training. That went well. I'm still working out weights and positions on the machines but I think I did enough to work out the muscles without over doing it. My legs are tired now though. Not near as tired as they have been though, so they'll be fine. I stretched after it was all said and done and I'll need to stretch again tonight.

No comments: